Thursday, May 28, 2009

Waiting for the Party to Start

5-29-09 As I was waiting for the seniors' feast to start last night, I got a chance to chat on Skype with my friend Desi, who is a student missionary in Nairobi, Kenya. We were glad for the opportunity to type to each other, and we talked about stuff. She was very surprised by the fact that I was waiting for a LONG time for the thing to start. One, I've gotten used to it, and, two, it's the last time I had to do it, so yeah. The people setting up the feast kept saying, "It'll start soon, it'll start soon," and every once in a while, something would happen that would herald the soon start of the party. I did something (talk to Desi) while waiting for the party to start. In fact, I got a spiritual application out of it.

Christians are waiting for the Second Coming. That is going to be one massive party, and parties have lots of details that need to be in place before the party can start. God tells us that He'll get us when the party's ready to start, but until then, we must wait. Now, we have two options. We can sit around, do nothing, and gripe about the fact that the party hasn't started yet--but that doesn't put us in the right mindset to enjoy the party. The second option is to do something productive with our time. In the case of me waiting last night, Desi and I were able to talk and encourage one another. In the case of Christians waiting for the Second Coming, we have a job to do, a Commission to fulfill, and we all have different parts to play in the setup. We must use what time we have wisely, and to always live in readiness for the party to start. We must live in such a way that we can lay down whatever we're doing and be ready for the party to start.

For as good as the potato salad and spaghetti and rice and other Marshallese dishes were last night, and as good as it was to say goodbye to the seniors and take pictures and give advice, the party that I want to live in readiness for is the Second Coming. I hope you do, too. :)

Just some thoughts from last night.

More later.

~Ashlee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said, and I enjoyed the last two entries as well (well, one of them was a cool picture). Anyway, I hope you have a smooth transition back home. Always remember that the God who worked in you and through you in Ebeye is the same one who will take care of you back home. Thanks for sharing your journey. Can't wait to see you in the Fall!